Sunday, May 3, 2009

I came here to run, not to join the cause

Another year has passed and another dreadful Bloomsday run is in the books. This year, I broke down near Mile 1 and probably ended up finishing around 1:15. More than ever, Bloomsday 2009 wreaked havoc on my body.

What wreaked havoc on my mind, however, were the attendees roadside who were there for no other reason than to promote their cause. Mile 5 was definitely the worst as Doomsday Hill was lined with individuals looking to get marijuana legalized, looking to get a person elected to office and looking to recruit paintball players (the paintball posse was also located on Miles 1 and 3 of the 12k race). On Mile 7 was a religious group handing out advertisements for their church or organization or whatever. I just saw "Jesus" and "Christianity" and decided not to reach for one of their handouts.

I understand that this is well within their rights and all, but come on ... can't this shameless stumping for one agenda or another happen another time? I also realize Bloomsday is a great way to get tens of thousands of people to glance at whatever you're braving the cold for at 10 in the morning on a Sunday, but these individuals were eye sores in a sea of crazed Spokanites (I can't believe I just used that word...) cheering on friends, family and complete strangers. Which reminds me...

It wouldn't hurt for these crusaders to offer up the occasional "Great job runners!" as people fly by or, in my case, limp by. It would even draw eyes to what you're about (which is the goal, right?). But each time I passed these groups, I encountered marijuana propaganda (Spocannibis? Really? Look for a blog in the coming days about Spo - fill in something that sounds like it has Can in it here.), people staring blankly at passing runners with their arms stretched out (the religious front) or silence (from the people who wanted me to vote for what's her face?). I'm sure these people weren't above rooting runners on from the race's beginning to end, but when I passed, the only "You're doing great's" came from the people there to watch others run a race.

And that's all I wanted to do in the first place: run the race. That is what Bloomsday is about, correct? Unfortunately, maybe not for much longer.

No comments: