Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Spo- prefix

I hinted that this was coming in my last blog and now I have the time to address it, so here goes...

Can someone explain to me what the allure is to referring to Spokane as Spo- whatever? It may have been cute when it started, but after a good 30 seconds, it had worn out its welcome.

A few years ago, Spokanada and Spokompton broke onto the scene. I could see the parallels regarding both of these to a point - Spokane's weather and winter sports scene is reminiscient of that in Canada (OK, you got me...that's just speculation since I've still never been to Canada...sigh) and Hillyard is most definitely Compton-ish (again, never been to Compton...stay with me).

I kept waiting and waiting for these nicknames to go by the wayside. Years passed. Now, in 2009, their staying power has resembled that of Keanu Reeves' career. It should have ended a long time ago, but for some reason, hasn't.

This trend reached heights it never should have on Sunday morning at Bloomsday when a group of individuals stumping for the legalization of marijuana donned "Spocannibis" T-shirts roadside.

What does that even mean? What's the connection between Spokane and cannibis? I understand the Spokanada and Spokompton monikers even though I don't like them - both are geographical areas with similarities. But Spokane and weed? Really? Both are green, I guess. That's it.

It's been out of control for too long. We already have Spokandy. How long is it before a local store markets Spokan-openers and Spokandles. What if REI manufactures Spokantenes?

I gotta get out of here... I Spokan't take it anymore.

2 comments:

Brandon Hansen said...

I vote for having a Spokeginger

Life So Far... said...

This might be my top 5 favorite blogs ever... I ate this up like a spokannibal. I would vote for you as top blogger ever if you were a spokanidate. Hopefully people break out from under this whole spokanopy of spo-?. lol. great bog.