Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Streak (1/21)

For claiming to know a bit about the NHL, I'm terrible with the picks. I love that ESPN has a tool which shows each individual's win-loss record by sport. This is mine, since the game reset with the New Year.

College Football: 1-0
Tennis: 1-0
College Basketball: 7-2
Soccer: 4-2
NFL: 2-2
NBA: 1-3
NHL: 2-7
Golf: 0-1


Now, if I had any patience, the smart thing would be to fall in line with the stats and stick to college sports. I'm neither patient, nor smart.

My soccer record is pure luck... I do little to no research and go with my gut. For today, my gut says to take 4 goals or more in the early afternoon. When ESPN puts a game up that seems a little too obvious, go with the underdog. Since soccer games are typically low scoring, I think ESPN knows something the casual fan doesn't.

In the early evening set, I like Illinois over Ohio State. It's a home game, and the Illini are notoriously tough in their own building. All things being even, gimme the edge at home.

Finally, in the late contests, I'm taking Vancouver and San Jose to score six or more goals. Roberto Luongo is a great goaltender, but since returning from injury has been terrible. The Sharks have given Vancouver fits and if Lu isn't back to full strength, San Jose could put up six themselves.

1 comment: