Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Streak (1/29)

Having run my streak to three for the fifth time and reaching four wins only once, I'm starting to develop a set of guidelines for the game, which would probably be publishable if, well, I could get to four games. Or 27.

Nevertheless, some rules to remember when you're going streaking:

Stick to the sports you know. I like to think my forte is MLB, NCB and NHL and, save for MLB (since they are in the offseason) and the NHL (where my record is surprisingly awful), I've had success. Yes, I realize this only leaves college basketball. But I'm solid there! Except for Clemson, who is trying to sabotage my streak...again.

Records and rankings don't mean much. The teams with the advantage in the streak game is usually the home team. I'm watching my streak crumble to a prime example of this. Virginia Tech, at home, is crushing #11 Clemson 45-31 with 4:38 left in the first half. It's too bad too, because I thought I had virtual locks at 6 p.m. with #20 Illinois at #24 Minnesota and at 8 p.m. with #25 Gonzaga at home against #18 St. Mary's. If Clemson rallies, I can almost assure my streak will be at six by the end of the day.

Finally, when in doubt, take the underdog. This usually falls in accordance with the obvious game that ESPN usually throws out there. If something looks too good to be true, it probably is. If you must pick that game, I strongly recommend the side that 4% of the picks are taking.

Good luck, though you probably don't need it as much as I do.

No comments: