Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Curses or coincidence?


I'm a Red Sox fan. If anyone has been bred to believe in curses, it's me. Boston took an 86-year hiatus from 1918-2004 before winning another championship. And never in the 19-years I was alive prior to 2004 did I think Babe Ruth cursed the Sawx.

But I'm slowly nearing a sobering possibility: Perhaps, for some unknown reason, I'm a curse for the hometown short season Single-A Spokane Indians. Last season, the Indians captured the Northwest League championship and did so in dominant fashion. Yet, in the nine games I went to, Spokane was 1-8. They were 50-17 in all other games.

So far this year, the Indians are off to a horrific start at 3-8. I just got back from my third consecutive game at Avista Stadium against the Tri-City Dust Devils and witnessed the beginning, middle and end of a deflating sweep.

I fully expect to arrive at the next game with a wanted poster outside for my immediate removal from the park. Good thing I'm not a season-ticket holder and good thing this...thing...hasn't latched itself on to my appearances at Chiefs games.

No comments: