Monday, July 12, 2010

King Sidekick

By Ryan Callahan, guest contributor

Has anyone ever gone as Robin for Halloween? Did Gatorade have an ad
“I wanna be like Scottie?” Has the President ever left office to
become assistant Prime Minister of Canada? No, of course not. But in
the NBA the so called “King James” has just handed his crown to Dwyane Wade. I guess Skip Bayless was right all along - it was “Prince James.”
Think of the greatest wing players to ever play; they all had the ball in their hand when the game was on the line, they all hit game winners to clinch series or titles. Jordan over Russell, Magic with the running sky hook, Kobe had six just last year and sadly Lebron will never have a defining moment like this. I mean really who would you give the ball to? Someone with a track record of crumbling when it matters the most or someone who on the brink of going down 3 games to 0 in the NBA finals put his whole team on his back. That team had Shaq too so it was a lot of lifting. Wade has a consistent outside game to go along with his tenacity attacking the hoop while Lebron is much more one dimensional with his ability to score. Wade is the closest thing to Jordan the NBA has seen since 1996 and now he finally has his Pippen.
I don’t understand this move; Chicago was a much better fit for Lebron. He would still be the clear cut number one, they have a better power forward in Carlos Boozer who already knows how to be a number two, Joakim Noah who doesn’t need the ball on offense and still scores 10 a game while bringing down 12 boards (AKA the perfect teammate for Lebron), not to mention Derrick Rose and Luol Deng. I don’t understand what Lebron was thinking this offseason. From his choice of team to the way he handled it, it all baffles me. One thing I do know is if I ran a team I’d much rather have my superstar handle things the way Kevin Durant did.

No comments: