Monday, July 19, 2010

Musn't See TV


By Ryan Callahan, guest contributor

I came to a realization last week. It’s one most sports fans come to some time in their 20s. It is a lot like when you first learned that Santa wasn’t real. It’s hard to believe because you never knew any better but in your heart you know it’s true. I’ve been shown the light about All Star Games/Events. They suck; and not NBA regular season suck, WNBA regular season suck.


MLB All-Star week can still be saved with some minor tweaks. The Home Run Derby is a fine event, it just lasts way, way too long. The ‘09 derby lasted three hours. Three hours is too long for anything; I couldn’t watch Blake Lively mud wrestle Jessica Biel for three hours. Just cut the Home Run Derby to two rounds and you have a watchable event. And love it or hate it at least having home field riding on the outcome of the game gives you some reason to watch.


NBA All-Star Weekend has the slightest sliver of hope. It has the best All-Star event, the 3-point contest but it also has the worst, the dunk contest. In homage to Dylan’s post, I give the slam dunk contest the World Cup award. It is something I only need to see every four years. And even then why do you need to have NBA players in it? It’s not like they bring anything special to the table. I want to see the best dunkers in the world not the best dunkers in the NBA. Show me James White, Ziani, John Clark and The Air Up There having a dunk contest. Go to you tube and look up those guys and tell me that wouldn’t be better than what the NBA puts out. The rest of All-Star Weekend can just go. There is no fixing the rookie/sophomore game or the actual All-Star game; they both could go join the dodo bird as far as I’m concerned.


The Pro Bowl is a joke. It can’t even hold the Poinsettia Bowl’s jock. It is the only All-Star Game where the rules are changed and no one is trying. At least in the NBA they keep the same rules. I mean what good is an All-Star Game when all the players from your sports’ two best teams can’t play? I can proudly say I have never watched a Pro Bowl. I will watch my first one after I get done playing one on one with Reggie Lewis.


If you read this and you think I am completely wrong, you probably didn’t notice your mom and Santa had the same handwriting until you were 11.

No comments: