Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Streak (2/11) and why I don't have a poker blog

At this point, if you're reading this blog for streak tips or insight, I hope you're just doing it so you can pick what I don't. I'm in a funk which has me popping bubbly for reaching two straight wins. As it currently stands, I'm at an L2. Here's what I've got for today ... hopefully I don't reach Thursday with an L5.

In the morning, I've got Albania to defeat Malta in European qualifying. I figure if 98.6% of people pick a team to win outright, it should happen. Plus, with my lack of soccer knowledge and no good sports starting until 4 p.m., it seems like a decent play.

This afternoon, I'm going with Dayton to defeat Xavier at home. The Musketeers are overrated and the Flyers are 21-3, including a spotless 14-0 home record. It's a huge A10 matchup, which Dayton needs to win to help its at-large case.

If that's a quick game, jump all over UNC to beat Duke and Oklahoma to defeat Baylor at 6 p.m. UNC is very athletic, which will give the Blue Devils problems on both ends, while Baylor is still Baylor. Enough said.

If you don't get a chance to take those games, Edmonton should defeat Montreal at home, while Anaheim will beat Calgary in NHL action. I'm sick of the Flames ... since I'm picking against them, if I were you, I'd go with Calgary

And onto the tables...

The reason I don't have a poker blog is very simple: there are only 24 hours in the day. If I kept up a consistent poker blog, my typical day would look something like this:

9:00 a.m.- Wake up
9:10 a.m.- Check myspace and facebook
10:30 a.m.- Quest tournament
12:30 p.m.- Blog about some ridiculous beat I suffered to knock me out (yeah, it's coming)
2:00 p.m.- Online poker tournament
2:03 p.m.- Blog about some ridiculous beat I suffered to knock me out
3:00 p.m.- Eat for the first time
3:30 p.m.- Online poker tournament
3:41 p.m.- Blog about some ridiculous beat I suffered to knock me out
4:30 p.m.- Shower
4:45 p.m.- Blog about how, if I gave poker up, I could have a job, girlfriend and life.
7:00 p.m.- Quest tournament
8:30 p.m.- Blog about some ridiculous beat I suffered to knock me out
10:00 p.m.- Daydream about where I went wrong in life
11:00 p.m.- Online poker tournament
2:45 a.m.- Bubble out of tournament when my QQ loses to running 4's all in preflop against 45 offsuit.
2:46 a.m.- Pass out on my futon.

Seeing as I don't quite want my life to head down this path (and I'm unemployed), I haven't frequented the poker room at Quest recently. But as a birthday gift, my mom spotted me the money to play for the first time in weeks.

It lasted about 45 minutes.

The first 42 minutes were rough, no doubt. After A10 ran into AQ, jacks ran into a KKxx, three heart board and several limps missed, my starting stack of 12,000 had been whittled down to 3,000, with blinds at 100-200. When I looked down at pocket kings in early position, I thought it was rally time.

I raised to 1,000, the lady to my left called and a limper called. The flop of 3 4 6 looked very good, so I pushed my last 2,000 in, hoping to possibly triple up. The lady called immediately, while the limper folded.

She showed 3 7 of clubs. Seriously? Five times the blind in early position and you're calling with suited 7 high?

The turn was an 8, giving her an open-ended straight draw, with bottom pair.

River 3.

There were many choice words running through my head at the time, but I just tapped the table, smirked and shook my head in obvious disgust before leaving the table. As a poker player, you know you want these calls, but when they backfire ... wow.

So, 45 minutes at the tables and just about another 45 minutes writing this...

This is why I don't have a poker blog.

No comments: