Monday, February 16, 2009

The Streak (2/16)

After a fun birthday weekend in Portland, missing a few days on the streak, I'm back and could be happier. Portland, as always, was a blast. We saw the Spokane Chiefs defeat division rival Portland 4-1, had some drinks at a barcade, played some basketball and then a few games of Mad Gab, Pictionary Man and Catchphrase on top of that. It was a typical weekend in Portland, which is why I love going back there all the time.

Anyway, since my win streak is up to 1, I'm going to stray away from guessing on the soccer field, but enlighten you on all college basketball games on the board. Here's who I like, in order of confidence, from most confident to lease:

Pittsburgh over Connecticut

This is the game I'm picking today for a multitude of reasons. Jerome Dyson being out is a blow to Connecticut's championship hopes. DeJuan Blair can, at the least, neutralize and, at the most, dominate Hasheem Thabeet (don't look too much into his 25-20 game this weekend ... it was against the Hall). And UCONN, while playing at home, will have the pressure on them as the number one team against a high-quality opponent.


Texas A&M over Texas

Texas is not a good road team (4-4) and only defeated the Aggies by nine at their own place. A&M is a good team (17-8) and even better at home (14-3). Sure, they're 2-6 in their last eight, but I have a feeling Texas isn't as good as a lot of people think and this game could prove it.


Delaware St. over North Carolina A&T

If I knew anything specifically about either of these teams, it would be my most confident game. Delaware St., while only 7-19, is a good home team. They're only 2-12 on the road, but one of those wins was by 14 over NCA&T. Meanwhile, the Aggies (NCA&T) are 3-12 on the road. The only thing the Aggies have going for them is their record, which is about to get worse.


St. Peters over Marist

This game is awful, but intriguing. An 8-19 team visiting an 8-17 team. The 8-19 team is 1-12 on the road, so I've got the 8-17 team ... I guess.

That's the kind of confidence you get here!

No comments: