Friday, February 27, 2009

The Streak (2/27) and fun with numbers - Chiefs edition

I've refrained from publishing my streak picks lately, mostly because if you've been heeding my advice, you've been riding a longer "L streak" than the Detroit Lions. However, I'm a rugby match away from opening the day with a pair of cheap wins (the other in golf, where Bill Haas defeated the unstoppable Bo Van Pelt).

So, tonight, if I'm lucky, I'll have the chance to run my streak to 3. And it's unforgivable that I'll be rooting for them, but I'm picking the Lake Show to knock off the Nuggets in Mile High City. Denver got crushed by a KG-less Celtics team the last time I picked them. The Lakers aren't missing anyone. I like their chances.

In WHL action, the Chiefs got handled pretty easily by Vancouver again on Tuesday, this time 5-2. Fortunately, Spokane rebounded the next night, winning 5-2, behind four goals by The Greater One, Drayson Bowman.

The four-goal performance made me curious about a lot of things, so I did some research. Stats are fun:

Bowman has seven goals in his last five games, but hasn't scored in three of those.

Ryan Letts has eight goals in 114 games with the Chiefs.

The Chiefs have the following record when each player scores a goal:

Tyler Johnson: 15-2
Mitch Wahl: 19-4
Brady Calla: 7-0
Dustin Donaghy: 7-1
Justin McCrae: 6-0
Ondrej Roman: 8-0
Stefan Ulmer: 7-0
Levko Koper: 12-2
Drayson Bowman: 23-2 (and in both losses, Bowman was the only Chief to score)

And in the "they're not returning to Spokane this season and possibly ever" department:

Seth Compton: 5-0
Jared Cowen: 7-0

Of course, scoring is important, but for Spokane, it will make or break their season. The Chiefs are a perfect 35-0 when they score at least three goals in a game. That's filthy.

Unfortunately, it means they've scored two or fewer 27 times, winning just five of those games. As good of a defense as they have (and they have a great one, even without Cowen), they won't march through the postseason unless they light the lamp.

They've been able to do it against everyone except Vancouver this season, scoring only twice total in two meetings.

The Chiefs will host Portland and Tri-City over the weekend ... two golden opportunities to get the offense rolling. Now would be a good time for them to heat up and stave off the Kelowna Rockets for the third seed in the Western Conference playoffs.

No comments: