Thursday, April 2, 2009

How the Zags are spending the last weekend of college basketball season

Tonight, both Jeremy Pargo and Micah Downs participated in the collegiate slam dunk contest, broadcast on ESPN. For some reason, Downs was in the slam dunk contest instead of the 3-point shootout. Apparently, Mark Few was in charge of what his seniors did at the event and yet again, failed to utilize their strengths.

He was also in charge of the dunks the guys performed, as neither Downs nor Pargo made it into the finals. Downs was looking good early until he failed on all three semifinal throw downs, while Pargo did the same after he made the top four. Had I been in charge of the Gonzaga players in the contest, I would have nabbed that Akron guard whom (is that even correct?) Pargo posterized and just had him stand in the lane. Hey, if Nate Robinson can unjustly win the NBA Slam Dunk Contest twice by jumping over people, Pargo can do it by hopping over some 6' white guy, right?

As for Downs, well, he had no business in the contest to begin with. I love the guy, but come on. Nobody can tell me there aren't eight more exciting players in the nation when it comes to eye-popping slams. However, I would take him in a perimeter shooting contest against eventual 3-point champion Jack McClinton.

Then again, I'd have taken me against McClinton. And I don't care if he scored 22 of a possible 30 in the championship round. I'm the reigning EWU intermural 3-point champion, so...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Even I questioned Downs in the slam dunk. Not feeling the love for Few this week, huh darling?