Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Streak (4/1)

The Streak is back and better than ever!

I have to be honest. I got way more excited than I probably should have when ESPN announced the new rules for the most recent edition of "Streak for the Cash." The game has changed in multiple ways.

First, instead of needing to reach a set number to win a $1 million, you just want to get the longest streak you can before December 6. The top seven longest streaks by that time will win $10k and a trip to Bristol (ESPN Headquarters) to compete in a pickoff. The winner of the pickoff then wins the $1 million.

The first 10,000 people to reach a streak of 13 or longer win $15 toward prizes at ESPN's Winner's Circle. One of these prizes is a "Streak for the Cash" T-shirt. I would really like this.

Finally, ESPN sponsors will be running more prop bets throughout the contest, which pay $5k.

With the new rules set, let me give you my picks, so you can bet against them and be successful.

I picked Spain in the first game of the morning to win outright. Needless to say, Turkey is leading 1-0 early. Awesome.

Tonight, I like the Atlanta Thrashers to knock off the Buffalo Sabres at home. Atlanta is going for the season sweep and even though Ryan Miller is back for Buffalo, he hasn't been great, allowing three goals in both appearances. The Thrashers aren't a good home team, the Sabres aren't a good road team. C'mon Kovalchuk!

In the nightcap, I'm going with the Houston Rockets to defeat the Phoenix Suns. The Rockets beat the teams they should beat and with Yao Ming down low to neutralize Shaq and Houston's ability to limit teams offensively, I like their chances of coming out with a win.

No comments: