Monday, March 2, 2009

The Streak (3/2) and trying not to play "not favorites"

(Note: The Streak should be used for entertainment purposes only.)

I actually had a dream I ran my streak to 12 and was really excited about it. Having played for about five months and never breaking a W5, it may be the closest I get to 12 straight. But the disclaimer is so you don't end up like me and let it consume your life. I'll get to this after the picks.

Soccer: Guimaraes win or draw versus Braga. No, I don't know why. My team is down 1-0 eight minutes in.

I'll only have the opportunity to pick one game on the board after the soccer game thanks to my Monday Night Bowling League (where I look to improve on my 228-225-279, 732 series from last week, beep beep). And I'm going with the 76ers to defeat the Hornets at home.

New Orleans is not the same team they were a year ago. Tyson Chandler is not playing at the level he was. David West's numbers are down from last season. And the team struggles on the road. Plus, NO barely beat the New Jersey Nets last night and might be fatigued.

Moving on...

With the NCAA Tournament on the horizon, I usually try to refrain from falling in love with the home teams (Gonzaga, Washington St.). It works pretty well ... usually I have Gonzaga going out fairly early and, to date, I haven't paid for it.

However, the opposite is now true, thanks to the streak game. There are certain teams I hate because they have ruined me on certain occasions (Notre Dame, Providence, the Big 11). And I have to put those feelings aside when Notre Dame inevitably sneaks in to the Dance as a 9 seed (yes, they're beating Villanova at home tonight).

And when they do, I gotta have faith in them, as much as I hate them, to knock off two teams and reach the Sweet 16. Just can't play not favorites...

No comments: